TORONTO – The former executive director of a Salvation Army facility has been charged in the alleged theft of thousands of toys and donations from the charity’s Toronto warehouse.
Toronto police say David Rennie, 51, is charged with theft, possession of stolen goods and breach of trust and will appear in court on Jan. 4.
The Salvation Army announced the shocking theft last week, saying up to 100,000 items worth about $2 million were allegedly stolen from the facility in north-end Toronto over nearly two years.
Spokesman John Murray also confirmed that Rennie had been fired and police were investigating the case.
On Friday, officers reported finding a massive cache of about 146 skids stacked with toys, baby cribs, strollers and other items in a commercial warehouse in Brampton, northwest of Toronto.
Staff Insp. Tony Riviere said today that “a significant amount of property” was recovered after four search warrants were executed over the weekend and police anticipate more arrests.
Police have said they’ll return the goods once they’ve finished taking an inventory.
The discovery of the missing toys and goods came as the Salvation Army starts its annual Christmas Kettle donation campaign.
Murray has said that about 140,000 toys are distributed to families each holiday season from the Toronto warehouse, and has promised that no one will go without this year.