LAC-MEGANTIC, Que. – The Quebec government is planning to restore rail service to businesses in the devastated town of Lac-Megantic.
Premier Pauline Marois says a temporary rail link from the main line to the community’s industrial park is expected to be built by the end of the year.
Businesses in the industrial park have been cut off from crucial rail service ever since a train carrying crude oil jumped the tracks on July 6, exploded, and obliterated part of the town.
Marois says the province is continuing to study the possibility of building a permanent railroad link to serve the town.
The government also announced plans to build a new bridge, a commercial area and a commemorative park to honour the 47 people killed in the disaster.
Marois says those projects will cost about $16 million — which is part of a $60 million government reconstruction fund that had already been announced.